Monday, January 30, 2012

The Olive Tree



Everyone is having an afternoon nap. I push open the back screen door, and run down the driveway through the paddock to the bottom of the property. My olive tree is waiting for me. Her branches welcome me into her centre.

I sit on her knobbly roots, made for a small bottom like mine. Brittle leaves carpet her interior. Next to me, is a door, big enough only for the miniature family of bears that live inside. Above me, I can see the branches that Mr Lizard jumps from with glee, wearing his red top hat, and chewing on a piece of grass. Lily, the fairy princess, also lives in the old olive tree. Her room is at the very top. She and I are best friends.

For hours, Lily, my bear friends and I gossip about the other creatures in the wood. We talk about the mean old King, who lives in the sausage tree next door, and counts his money. He never lends any to anyone else. We talk about Mrs Magpie, who is really very dotty, and is always forgetting her keys. Mrs Bear complains about her husband, and her noisy children. I sympathise briefly, before her daughter tells me her mother is very strict.

The sky is clear and the air is dry. We gaze through her old branches as a single cloud travels past. The grass around her is the colour of sand.

I hear the bell on my brother's bike, and the scrape of gravel. I say goodbye to my friends, and run towards the driveway.

The Write on Wednesday Spark - The nature of place
Think about a place in nature that feels special to you. Perhaps it is somewhere you visited as a child. Or maybe you share a special outdoor space with your own children. This place, this space will be your prompt for this week's writing exercise. Write about a particular natural geography, a natural place or space close to your heart. Tell us about the weather, the landform , the creatures who live there, what the place means to you and why. You can write prose fiction, poetry, non-fiction and/or a photographic narrative. You might mix the landscape with a personal story. Wherever the prompt take you...Let us peek into your place.

10 comments:

  1. This is just the kind of thing I used to do as a child Zanni - it really brings it back :) imagination is such a wonderful thing, it's lovely that you haven't lost yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the perceptions of children you show us here, and I think for most people it brings memories of their childhood. Wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of Enid Blyton stories. You have captured the magic and innocence of childhood well. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, so Enid Blyton. It reminds me of the Far A Way tree which is what I wrote about a couple of weeks ago for WOW. Was this a real childhood thing you did, Zanni? It reminds me of me when I was about 7. So lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Kim it was my childhood...my imaginings from this tree are some of my clearest memories, strangely enough. And I read your gorgeous piece, The Far A Way Tree,...I think it was in the back of my mind when I set the timer :)
    Thanks for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so lovely, I wish I could escape into that frame of mind occasionally! Sounds like the makings of an interesting community of characters for a series of kids books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this piece! Our imaginations are sometimes the best things we had as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a piece out of a book you've written. Very cute. Fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was very sweet and imaginative, Zanni. Loved the image of watching the single cloud float by, it was so tranquil and lovely. Mr Lizard stood out for me, for some reason and also the detail about Mrs Magpie forgetting her keys. Lovely use of the prompt x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The creation of a magical world in a tree! Well done!

    ReplyDelete