Thursday, December 1, 2011

For Flora



Clara walked into the cathedral to escape the freezing wind, and was overwhelmed with a sense of familiarity. Although the high roof, the infinite stretch of pews before her and the magnificent stained glass were so much more than she had seen before, the cathedral felt homely.

She gazed around. Most of the pews were empty. A woman wearing purple sat alone in the centre, her head bowed into her arms and her back hunched. Two teenagers sat in a pew at the back, stretching high with their cameras above their heads.

To her left, she saw the white candles of all different heights, dripping into the sand. She placed a silver coin in the donation box, leaned a new candle into another to catch its flame and placed it on a spike to drip with the others. For Flora, she whispered to Jesus, who was carved in stone beside her.

This is a 5 minute writing exercise in response to the above image for Write on Wednesday. The cricket was playing on TV behind me, and there were other distracting noises, so I don't know if this was my best piece. But all writing is good writing practice. If you would like to read something of mine which is a little longer, read Skin which is my previous post, and a piece I am quite proud of.

Please feel free to leave me feedback and your comments. They are all appreciated! Zannix

3 comments:

  1. Distractions do make writing hard but yes, all writing is good practice. Exactly the point of WoW! And sometimes the distractions can enter the writing in a good way.

    I thought this was sweet. There was something so innocent and peaceful about that whisper to Jesus. I liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this - it felt as Gill said, peaceful not riddled with angst or sorrow more a gentle 'I remember you'.

    You set the scene really well too, I could picture the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful description of the cathedral and the way the person in the story was feeling and experiencing

    ReplyDelete